Thread: fusarium wilt
View Single Post
Old June 5, 2011   #47
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Tomorrow I am going to fill up my ripening table on the porch with green and slightly blushing tomatoes because I'm going to pull a whole bunch of plants that are just totally wilted now. It is amazing what a week of temps of 100 and better can do to fusarium weakened plants especially when combined with a massive hit by gray mold. Of my oringinal march planted bed I don't believe I have but a couple of plants now that even look healthy. Some of my April and May plants also got hit by the gray mold and a few have fusarium pretty bad but most still look good despite the heat but I don't know how long this will continue. They are still talking about record temperatures again next week with only paltry chances of rain.

Oh well onward and upward. I now have the bed where the beans were, tilled and ready for some new tomato seedlings. With all of the tomato plants that I will be pulling up in the next couple of days I will have space for a bunch more. I think I'll try a few peppers in some of the spots because this heat is really not helping my existing bell peppers but the hot peppers seem to like it.

The heat and drought has already surpassed the worst of last summer and summer has just begun. If the summer continues like this it will be much harder than usual to have plants make it in mid summer and fall.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote