View Single Post
Old July 21, 2013   #4
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Maybe it's just as well. As you say Feldon, It would be hard for a lot of us to commit to bringing tomatoes with the sporadic nature of the weather.

In my case, I actually have more, and larger, tomatoes this year than ever before, at least at this moment. (Although only a few varieties that are ripe yet) I would love to share the ones I have with other people, if I could. But they are just not fit for a tasting.

I don't know if it is all of the rain we've had or if it is the disease that is taking over the plants. All of these big beautiful tomatoes, glistening on the plate, but when you take a bite there's nothing but bland, bland bland. No better than a grocery store tomato.

It hasn't rained in the last few days, so I'm holding out hope that some of the ones ripening right now will have more flavor.

Unfortunately, many of my plants were set out late and so they were later to set fruit. Since most of them are on their way down with disease, a lot of the fruit may not even get close to ripe before they die.

Maybe next year will be a better tomato year and the event can be re-organized in a smaller, fairer way. I would still love to meet some of the people on this site in person and would love to contribute what tomatoes I have and taste varieties others have grown.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote