View Single Post
Old January 15, 2008   #43
the999bbq
Tomatovillian™

that's indeed a nice video on the newspaper pot technique - it is just about getting a round object to roll the paper around and than a way to compress the base. I use far less newspaper though. I cut strips of paper as wide as the height of the pot + somwewhat more than the radius of the pot, with a length of about three times the circumference (I don't actually cut the length since the newspaper is about the right size). Initially this seems very flimsy (only two to three sheets of paper on some parts of the rolls, but once it gets filled with moist soil it becomes as sturdy as any other pot. So in my opinions she is using far too much newspaper for the pot, Willi from the video has already 8 sheets of paper (folded) before she starts rolling. Really, try it out, take any round object, fold newspaper three times around it, fold the 'excess' in and compress and fill it up with soil you will be amazed. The pots can become fragile when they are too wet but you shouldn't A) let them become too wet and B) handle them when they are wet.
In my case they sit in a plastic flat/carrier with a perforated base, so I can move the flat without handling the pots, let them bottomsoak water in a bigger container (all-in-one go) without breaking the pots. For me it is just the ideal way to go.
If you are unhappy or uncomfortable add another layer but it isn't necessary...
the999bbq is offline   Reply With Quote