Thread: Corn Quandry
View Single Post
Old June 27, 2019   #32
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

With soil blocks the roots don't grow beyond the block...they work well for corn transplants as long as the mix is right. I just don't have enough room to start all the flats of plants I want to start with one light and no legitimate greenhouse to move them to. That is why I went the clear plastic route like some of the sweet corn people do around here. It just feels so wasteful...that plastic is not bio and I only used it a few weeks. Once it is slit, it is done. Felt like a whole lot trash going in that dumpster. But I admit it did a good job starting corn in the cold and wet.

Patching the skips I just pulled out one of the twins after a rain...they were probably 5" tall at that time. The roots are just down through compost, and I think I just pressed them into the new spot with a finger like a tomato plant. Seemed like the took hold okay.The root conditions must depend a lot on the conditions and soil, not just height.

Georgia Jet sounds right...they were extra someone had. I've never grown sweet potatoes. A fellow here has had very good success with them, usually. He bought three kinds this year to try to pinpoint which one grew so well previously, and these were extras. I wasn't sure if I should plastic mulch over them or if they get hilled later or whatnot.

Last edited by JRinPA; June 27, 2019 at 02:56 PM. Reason: georgia jet
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote