View Single Post
Old May 26, 2015   #331
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

OSU Blue got into the wild when a student distributed some seed online. The resulting plants had several problems including excess foliage, uneven size, uneven color, and segregating genes that induce anthocyanin formation.

P20 is a selection from OSU Blue that emphasized plant traits a bit more. It was still segregating with some plants producing distinctly darker fruit.

Indigo Rose is a selection from P20 that stabilizes the genes for anthocyanin and fixes the fruit size in the 2 to 4 ounce range.

Jim Myers is still working with crosses to improve flavor and culinary traits. He has several lines going including a yellow with anthocyanin and several oval fruited lines. One of the oval lines that I tasted in 2012 was a very good flavored tomato though it still had a bit of an off whang from the wild species genetics.

I have a line growing from a single plant selection about 5 years ago. It has sungold sweetness combined with high anthocyanin fruit and moderately good fruit flavor. I have 3 plants in the garden that will hopefully be stable for the traits. This line is potato leaf.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote