View Single Post
Old March 13, 2010   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lj in ny View Post
Actually, Maria at Blue Ribbon Tomatoes said that they tasted the same: "As for general size and taste, I don't think you could tell them apart blindfolded." She noted that CC had a translucent skin and Coyote had a solid yellow skin, she also noted that the leaves were different Coyote's being more rounded and oak leaf-like. I think it's a good idea for many people to grow them out side by side and then compare their findings before any difinitive conclusions are drawn. I emailed Sunset Produce and asked them to confirm the color of the Champagne. I suspect I won't hear back from them until Monday. I figured it couldn't hurt to contact them directly to clear up that part of the mystery.
Maria and I are posting at another site and I pointed out to her that Terry had two sources for CC, one in France and one from Terra Edibles, and Maria didn't know that and doesn't know which one Terry sent her and nor does Adam know which one Terry sent to him, and that's why Maria has moved back a bit on what she had written. I doubt if Terry can remember which she might have sent to either Maria or Adam, and the source for Terra Edibles isn't known either.

The best way of comparing the two is to use seeds for both from the same source, as you also said, and that's why I'm glad that Adam is facilitating that by offering seeds for both and then both can be grown out in the same season and direct comparisons made, which eliminates many variables.

So, you e-mailed to ask Sunset to ask about color. Did you also ask them the origin of the variety? And I'm glad you did ask about color or the REAL fruits b'c all the representations at the Sunset site were not from actual tomatoes, but the one picture of the possible CC in the mixed gourmet picture was a darker yellow than one might suspect based on the photography color matching elsewhere at the site.

Sunset lists their varieties and the Champagne Cherry that we know is ivory to yellow in color as others who have grown it have said, separate from any pictures, so let's see what they say about color and origin.

You know, it could also be Mirabelle Blanche that could have been renamed b'c it's perhaps easier to play off the Champagne moniker with a known French variety.

In a psot to Maria elsewhere I also gave her links to the pictures of CC at Terra Edibles as well as Ventmarin in France and some other links as well. There are many pictures at several sites of Coyote.