View Single Post
Old June 17, 2015   #55
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Very interesting Monty. I never have had ridges in my Lemon squash, I never have saved Lemon seeds, my seed source for this is Baker Creek and my Lemon squash have always been the same from year to year. I think what you're saying is very possible and I also think simple inheritance does not seem to be the case with these hence some variability? (Based on my very rough understanding of plant genetics.)

I'm very intrigued by your longer shaped ones, more Tatume like. Keep us posted on that, both plant habit and flavor.

Below are a couple pictures. The first is a Lemon (bottom) then 3 F1s (the last one can't be seen and is smaller than the others, so I may cull it, but I will let it fruit first). The F1s are a little taller than the Lemon and also are developing long tendrils, but not really vining just yet. They have some immature tiny fruit, I'm guessing about a week til they start opening.

The second picture is Tatume (right) which you can easily see vining already. Then the left 3 are F1s. The middle 2 are smaller due to age and the far left one is the same age as the other F1s in picture 1 and the Tatume and Lemon plants.

I should be getting into the more exciting time soon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg June172015_13sm.jpg (509.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg June172015_14sm.jpg (770.3 KB, 87 views)
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote