View Single Post
Old March 20, 2012   #13
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I think one should not compare large scale commercial farmers who do use lots of glyphosphate based herbicides and those who plant glyphosphate tolerant GMO's from the majority of us who post here who are backyard, sometimes small field hobby gardeners who wouold in no way use the amount of glyphosphate that the commercial folks do.
I think the point is that studies have shown that Glyphosphate does create problems with plant-associated microorganisms in the soil and this is why Dr. Huber is raising the flag and saying we need to reevaluate this product and conduct more studies.

The application of Glyphosphate (RoundUp) has nothing to do with the size of the growing area whether it be a square foot garden or a several thousand acre commercial farm as the end result will be the same and that being it does cause problems with the microorganisms in the soil.

I can see to a certain extent why commercial farmers are using the product due to increased production and lower costs but for hobby gardeners I can't see any justification unless they are unable or just to lazy to pull weeds out of their gardens. Ami