View Single Post
Old April 12, 2015   #12
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
Looks great - Thanks for posting this!

What sort of a float rig did you use for your reservoir? Are you adding nutrients to that (hydroponics)?

For mosquito problems, I wonder how long a BT "dunk" (for outdoor pools) would control the problem in a closed system like this (since the primary water loss is evaporation, it wouldn't get washed out).
Hydroponics requires constant circulation of fertilizer liquid since the grow medium itself has zero nutrients (and cannot hold nutrients.) Since everything is planted in a potting mix, it can hold nutrients. Having the gutter just allows me to put the fertilizer there (Flora-nova) mid season if I think it needs a boost. For the first half of the season, I literally do nothing since every container has a top dressing of 10-10-10.

I do use BT dunks. I can't say how long it lasts but I think last summer I put in a 1/4 of a ring in each gutter every month.

The recommended float is made by Kerick and you want the adjustable arm one. The kerick brand is used in commericial/industrial applications so you know its a good one. I've bought others from online because I wanted a smaller float bulb and I can tell you the kerick ones are waay better. Anyways, if you watch Larry's videos, he tells you about all the parts. I find his videos highly entertaining.