View Single Post
Old June 3, 2020   #15
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Whwoz, I really appreciate your insight and thinking about this. This year is my fourth harvest so I'm still experimenting and learning. In fall 2016, after searching online for growing information I used The Garlic Store's planting instructions (http://www.thegarlicstore.com/pages/How-to-Grow.html) and ordered their Southern Collection which consisted of four bulbs, one each of Maiskij, Shilla (both turbans), Spanish Benitee (Creole) and Blanco Piacenza (softneck artichoke). Only the Maiskij and Shilla grew into decent bulbs spring 2017.

In fall 2017 I planted only the Maiskij and Shilla from saved bulbs and in 2018 harvested some fantastic garlic!

But fall '18 I planted saved garlic again and last spring the harvested bulbs were OK but the cloves were a lot smaller. Definitely not like the previous year!

Back to more internet sleuthing. I ended up at a great site with a lot of information about growing garlic in the South:
http://greyduckgarlic.com/Southern-G...ers-Guide.html

Since Grey Duck doesn't sell garlic anymore, I ordered the Russian Inferno and Siberian elsewhere to plant this past fall. They're both Turbans. And I did the pre-plant vernalization I read about in the southern growing guide; 10 weeks at 45-49 degrees in a drink refrigerator. The Maiskij and Shilla were planted too. Neither of those did well at all, making bulbs about 1.5" in diameter. Those have been sliced, dehydrated and await grinding into fantastic garlic powder.
Now the Inferno is out of the ground and I'm thinking about digging the Siberian. This is it as of five minutes ago:

The Siberian is scaping and one of them looks like it is forming bulbils at the end of the scape, not in the stem:

So do I dig now? There's not much yellowing of the leaves except the tips of some. Maybe dig up one to see what's what?
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote