View Single Post
Old December 28, 2009   #44
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I hope everyone and anyone who is reading here would please see if there's anything else to be suggested about the various varieties listed, anything I missed, anything I might have said that's wrong, etc.

Thanks.

Today I'll do the oranges and bicolors listed and blacks. I have to do the rest soon b'c I've got to get my own seed in order for my seed offer here as well as just generally getting my seeds organized.

Oranges and Bicolors as listed:

Angora Orange, flattened, foliage

Caro Rich, low acid????, Adam, not that old as you wrote, was bred by Purdue U and released in 1989 and was bred for high Vit A content ( carotenes); they also bred Caro-Red.

Golden Cherokee, excellent

Japan Tomato tree, producing, yields

KBX, yields, beefsteak ( in text)

KY Beefsteak, beefsteak ( in text)

Liberty Bell, non-acid???

Lucky Cross, LeHoullier

Orange Minsk, Baranovski of Minsk, Belarus, who obtained....

Orange-1, all capitals, Belarusian Insitute of Vegetable Gardening

Pineapple, don't need the words heirloom tomato seed as part of the variety name. Adam, it's not that unusual, really, there are 100+ known red/gold bicolors, really.

Pink Grapefruit, grapefruit one word, low acid????

BLACKS

Arbuznyi, purplish, Originally

Indian Stripe, maybe more information about it to describe fruits and describe possible relationship to Cherokee Purple?

JD, change to JD's in the variety name

Spudakee, is Purple really part of the variety name?, flattened,Spudakee is a PL mutant of Cherokee Purple, so all that should be different is the leaf form, and Cherokee Purple is listed in the Pink section of the SSE Yearbook, as is Indian Stripe, and despite the word Purple for CP the fruits aren't purple and I doubt that the fruits of Spudakee are purple as well. The only two varieties that I know of that do have a purple tint are Purple Calabash and Noire des Cosebeauf. Maybe use dusky pink for Spudakee?