View Single Post
Old November 29, 2011   #53
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
Maybe not - and hopefully the moderators - which are VERY GOOD here, the best I've ever seen - will want to keep it that way. And I'm sure they are more comfortable keeeping my over-active mouth confined to one area of the site!
Jack, here I am.

I do think it's best to realize that what might work for you using your methods and products doesn't work for everyone, so perhaps a bit more tolerance might be considered for others who have different growing concerns.

You say that organically grown crops are becoming big time where you are, but that's not true where I am. At first everyone who did small scale farming wanted to go the organic route with the belief that they could get a premium price, but that's not what happened.

Many of the them got certified organic by NOFA which is the main organic certifying agency here. They were left not being able to control the many diseases they were able to in the past.

Kocide was one that many used and was initially approved by NOFA but then NOFA said that one was out b'c the inert ingredients were not specified on the label.

So quite a few have stopped trying to grow organically, and I think the main reason around here is that they refuse to pay the premiam price associated and b'c there are lots of alternatives in my area with reasonably priced produce that is cheaper to buy.

In addition, there's all sorts of organic standards from a local agency such as NOFA and MOGFA, and the latter was the source for almost all other certifying agencies and have stornger standards than the Federal ones last I knew.

And the you've got the Federal standards with FOUR levels of organicness.

So if going by the Fed standards who knows HOW organic something is.

If it sounds as though I know some local folks who have gone organic and why they aren't going to pay the steep yearly costs to maintain that certification you'd be correct.

Posting here at Tville has the same guidelines for ALL Forums so this Market Garden Forum is the same as all others in that respect as to interaction with others who post in this Forum.

And I just wrote that b'c of your comment above:

(And I'm sure they are more comfortable keeeping my over-active mouth confined to one area of the site! )

Nope, all Forums, all areas of Tomatoville are moderated the same and have the same guidelines, no special perks for this Forum.