View Single Post
Old February 4, 2010   #11
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamwhereiwant2 View Post
I don't have too much experience with these, but I know that Agretti has a really low germination rate - about 30% and it gets worse as the season progresses.
I've not grown Madras radish; is that like rat-tail radishes? I let Purple Plum radishes bolt one year and had nearly the same effect. The pods were crunchy and not too spicy. Molokhia is on my grow list for this year and I hope it tastes good.
Madras radish is described as having much less of a radishy bite than Rattail radishes.

I've been reconsidering Molokhia because it sounds like it needs warmer summers than we have here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath
In an attempt to overwinter greens one year I tried arugula, mizuna, minutina, corn salad, mache, upland and crinkled cress, claytonia. I don't cook greens and they were all too strong, bitter, etc. for me. Since then, I have just focused on trying to find better ways to make my beloved spinach, lettuce and celery produce longer for me!
I planted mache (same thing as corn salad, Valerianella) one year and it's been coming back every winter since then! To me its taste is very mild and green.

I also love claytonia (miner's lettuce), which comes up on its own and is nice and crunchy.

I'd also like to try cress.

I do like celery -- last year I cut mine to the ground and let some go to seed, and it's been regrowing and coming up on its own. I also have some Chinese celery, which is meant to be picked a few stems at a time, rather than as a bunch. I've found I pick both types of celery this way (if I can get to them before the slugs do).

On the other hand, I hardly ever eat lettuce, and there's something about Chenopodiaceae greens (beets, spinach) that doesn't taste good to me.

I've also been wondering about New Zealand spinach and Malabar spinach.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote