Thread: Fusarium Wilt
View Single Post
Old July 17, 2017   #240
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Star, hugs. We live a long way apart. You are a very good friend and you are the only Tomatoville member to call me. Thank you.

What we know about growing tomatoes are two different thought sets. I learned from others and my own grow outs that planting deep only causes problems getting water to the roots. I built and filled the raised beds in 2015 with soil before I knew we had RKN in 2016. I didn't know about the Fusarium wilt until this thread in 2017.

Not getting a soil test and filling the beds with soil from our land came from poverty. I put things back at the dollar store because I can live without it. I have one pair of pants that I wear out in public and three shirts. The best one is from almost 20 years ago. I choose everything else above myself.

But growing some FFFN tomatoes that might have some chance is worth trying. I can't do the seed trade anymore. Earlier in this thread - it is possible to spread Fusarium through seeds. I can't do that.
You and your wife sweeties. Pleasure all mine..

Been there too, so I know what you mean. You do what you can and hope for the best.

Yep, you know your ground better than anybody. I did do that one year, planted a foot deep and had put tons of semi fresh bunny poop in holes and on top. Lost every plant I had to disease. Experience the greatest learning tool.

It would be my honor to sponsor you this year for the MMM Swap. You always sponsoring others. Thanks to helping TV'ers I got plenty again this year.
Yes, it possible for transmission of Fusarium, but I not sure how high of a percentage.

Not sure exactly all who may have or now dealing with Fusarium, but you might ask what folks have and if they still trade seeds and if anybody they traded with had problems. It may be a case of when the tomatoes were picked and how badly affected the plants were. Not really sure and the one person at Auburn that really knew the in's and out's of plant diseases has retired. Not sure if I can find her or not to ask.

Maybe somebody will come up with some good answers or research that will help. Crossing fingers.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote