View Single Post
Old July 20, 2012   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslickz View Post
Does anyone in Florida have experience growing these? I'm looking for something that will withstand most of the Floridian foliage diseases.

I lost dozens of plants in the past two years to early blight and septoria and leaf spot. I was hoping that being native to Florida these may not be so susceptible to these issues?

-Mike
You've just posted in a thread where many who have grown it have discussed it.

There are few of us who have had seasons with no Early Blight or Septoria Leaf Spot, but I sure wouldn't turn to growing a wee fruited Wild Everglades plant just b'c of that.

And breaking news, as they, in my last annual seed offer here in jan I listed a couple of SPECIAL ones where I didn't have enough seeds to either SSE list or offer in my seed offer, and four folks, the limit I set, signed up to grow what I called pink currant, not the real name, that has yet to be decided by the person who provided the seeds.

His name is Ted, and he's from FL and picked up a plant at a nursery that was just labelled Everglades, and when the fruits appeared he thought they looked pink. I was excited by that sine I knew of only one other pink currant, and that bred by Tim Peters, which is no longer available.

Ted didn't know how to save seeds so I told him to just take some fruits and smush them up, put them in a strong baggie, and send them and he did, they arrived and I set them up for fermentation.

TWo folks who got the seeds from me have alreday confirmed that they also got pink ones, which one has to check by checking the epidermis color, and I have to check with the other two. They're supposed to be sending me back seeds so I can offer it here for 2013 and if enough seeds to SSE lsit as well.

Ted sent fruits to another person whom I know and we're in contact as well, and she also confirmed that they were pink currants.

So I'm happy, to date, about the current, pun intended, situation.