View Single Post
Old April 22, 2022   #5
ClarkB
Tomatovillian™

I grew two RKPSC plants last year. One was between a Rosella (cherry) and a Black Cherry. I pruned it to 4 or 5 branches, and it produced about 320 fruit over the season. The plant, blossoms, and fruit looked almost identical to Rosella, but it grew to a larger size and produced more and somewhat larger fruit especially late in the season. It's summer fruit size was similar to Sungold's, and they got smaller later in the season. The second was planted in a sort of bonus row where plant spacing was only 18", and I kept it pruned to just the main vine. It's fruit were probably about 50% larger (about half way between Sungold and Black Cherry), and they stayed good sized later in the season. While it only produced about half as many as the first plant, when I grow it in the future I plan to grow a couple plants pruned to one vine to get the larger fruit. I thought the flavor was very good - definitely in the top couple of the 13 cherry varieties I grew. The only negatives were the small late season fruit on the first plant and the fact that when the temperatures cooled late in the season here in Upstate NY, the fruit tended to split when picked or even just sitting on the counter. Overall I don't think you'll be disappointed.
ClarkB is offline   Reply With Quote