View Single Post
Old February 29, 2012   #8
NewGardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions!!! It's much appreciated!!

Right now, I have 30 plants altogether. We were required to pot them all separately into their own small individual potters and care for them in the campus greenhouse over the course of the semester. All 30 plants are being cared for exactly the same except for 15 plants in which we had to choose an experimental variable to add to it. It could have been light, humidity, nutrients,...etc. I chose banana peels because I had read that it can help the growth of the plant and it also seemed like an interesting experiemental variable to use. But upon further research I'm realizing that putting the peels in the soil of each of those experimental 15 plants may not be enough, and may not break down fast enough even if I cut them into smaller peices. So, I had the odd idea of using coconut water (which happens to be high in potassium amongst other vitamins) instead of burrying chopped up peels in my soil every two weeks.

**I would have chosen to make a compost except I dont have room in the small individual potters to add a lot of mixture. My inquiry now is if anyone would advise against subbing coconut water for the banana peels every two weeks? Or if it would be worth a try?
NewGardener is offline   Reply With Quote