Thread: Salsa/Sauces
View Single Post
Old September 22, 2016   #144
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Looks like a cool recipe! I'd like to try this for a change of pace from red, at the appropriate fall time frame. I usually just let the green tomatoes ripen in the garage. Does the skin on a green tomato possibly contribute to the sour taste, or is there any flavor to it at all. Do you peel green tomatoes the same way as ripened tomatoes, which to me is a minute in boiling water?

- Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
I just cleaned out my greenhouse this week and I picked almost a bushel of mostly green tomatoes. So, I looked for green tomato recipes in the internet and ran across a "Green Tomato Salsa" one. It was excellent I ended up making 33 pints this week. So I don't know why you can't substitute green toms for red ones, but I would use fresh peaches if I was doing the recipe. They may not have the right consistency after being canned twice. (maybe like syrup)

Here is a great green tomato salsa recipe and I am sure you could adapt it to use the peaches in it, too.

http://www.food.com/recipe/green-un-...canning-393491

I changed it a little bit. I put no onions in, my husband can't eat them, no oregano, I don't like it, no pepper, no cayenne pepper, and a little more sugar (just enough to take the sour out of it) nor did I follow the quantites to the "T"..I winged it with the ingredients I had or was too cheap to buy all of, like the red bell peppers. Here, they are $1.50 a piece right now.
Then I canned it in my pressure canner at 5lbs. pressure for 10 minutes.

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; September 22, 2016 at 10:51 PM. Reason: spelling
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote