View Single Post
Old October 2, 2019   #32
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have had my hummingbird feeders out since spring and didn't see a single one until a week ago and saw three in one day. My guess is they are just passing through because there just aren't a lot of flowers around for them to get any nectar out of. I'm sure there are some good plants for them in some flower beds that are well maintained and well watered but all the flowering plants that are attractive to hummingbirds are without any flowers and near death.

Still getting a lot of bell peppers with about half of them scalded to one degree or another. When I am picking I just go ahead and pick off small peppers that already have scalded spots on them. My Pappadew, Cayenne and Jalapeno peppers are all loaded and have been producing like crazy but they need water at least every other day. I still am getting a few tomatoes off my remaining plants but I don't think that will go on much longer with the TYlCV on over half of them. I am pulling out any plants that have the disease that don't have a decent number of larger tomatoes already started. Looks like the tomato season is going to end in a whimper. I am also removing any bell pepper plants that have reached that stage where all they produce is small peppers so I don't waste my time and money watering them only to get peppers the size of golf balls or smaller.

I am itching to start some fall seed so I can have some plants ready to go out as soon as it cools down enough but it is still so hot I can't get good germination in the greenhouse right now. First of next week the days are supposed to be in the 80s with nights in the mid to lower 60s so as soon as I get a day in the 80s I'll be starting some seed in the greenhouse, planting some greens in the garden and praying for some rain.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote