View Single Post
Old May 3, 2017   #71
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Not sure why people think that if they're green they should be sour. Maybe due to Green Zebra, one of the more popular early greens?
I haven't tried many, but none of them were particularly sour. They were balanced I would say.
I tried Spears Tennessee Green after starting a similar thread last year, and it is pretty gosh darnoodley good. Balanced taste, good flavour, terrible thick skin, likes to crack, nice shape without catfacing, good production. I am growing it again.
I also tried Green Zebra Cherry, which oddly enough, didn't know it had a name. I had a mix pack of tomatoes and picked some seeds. After about 2 years only I actually found that someone else did the same (from the same pack mix) and had already distributed it and named it. It had nice taste, but very late and incredible thick skin.
And then another mystery zebra, probably bread commercially somewhere which for now I named Saveol Zebra (saveol is a really big french producer) and I am trying it this year, after eating the best tomato last year from another mix pack.
I think the colour mostly comes with a certain flavour profile. And for now it seems like the greens have that strong flavour profile that is mostly balanced, which is exactly what I'm looking for.
Green will be the new black in a few years, no doubt.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote