View Single Post
Old July 11, 2008   #1
BVGardener
Tomatovillian™

Default My technique for eliminating Root Knot Nematodes

Yes, thats right....I said it: The elimination of root knot nematodes. And I'm going to share with everyone here my process for accomplishing this from start to finish during my upcoming fall gardening season.

At this point, I just wanted to set up a place holder for this topic and not quite yet go into details. I'll come back either later today or this weekend and provide some facts about nematodes and then get going from there.

My technique is 100% effective and involves absolutely no chemicals (I know, sounds like a cheesey advertisement). It basically accomplishes what the typical soil solarization technique is not able to.

For me, RKN has never been an issue until the last fall season or really I should say, began to be an issue during the late summer season of last year. My biggest concern and a question that I had to answer was, did I introduce RKN into my garden via soil amendments or possibly through a mechanical means?

I answered that question during the past three months and that answer would be no. The RKN were always there but they built up to destructive levels and the reason I never observed them for several years is that I was changing the configuration of my garden each year which meant I was not planting in the same exact spot each year. However, about three years ago, I realized that I was never going to build up the soil if I kept changing the configuration of the garden so I established a layout of the garden and started growing in the same beds.....and I now know that I was building up something besides soil structure.

I researched the different techniques and methods for dealing with RKN last year but none of them provided the results I was looking for. Most of the reported results were rather vague and not something that I wanted to invest lots of time in only to realize minimal success.

So stay tuned and here we go.

Jay

Last edited by BVGardener; July 11, 2008 at 10:00 PM.
BVGardener is offline   Reply With Quote