Thread: Raspberries!
View Single Post
Old January 13, 2014   #38
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
Yeah the SWD is a fairly new invader. Before we had no worms, and hardly any pest pressure. They are a tough one. I hope this cold winter set them back! If I see any in my area, I will probably net the raspberries. Stopping them with pesticides is tough. Still I will have to spray at first to make sure all are dead around the fruit before netting. Yes they have netting that will work, but what a pain it's going to be! So far I have not seen any either, but spotted in my county.

So Ted, how did the first season go? TX is not like raspberry country, you may be better off with blackberries. The Bababerry raspberry cultivar with grow in heat as long as shaded. Hard to find that one. I think Willis Nursery has it.
Here no problem in full sun. I have about 20 cultivars, red, purple, black, and yellow. Looking for a nice orange! A new primocane black raspberry was released this year. Niwot is the name. Hard to find. Expensive if you do! Henry Fields is selling them under the name Sweet Repeat. I'm a raspberry freak, so had to order one!
Four raspberries planted resulted in four dead raspberry plants. I have a wonderful son in law who is diligent with his weed whacker. Next time, I need to make him aware of where new plants have been placed. They were not doing well anyhow. The heat and drought would probably have caused their demise if the SIL didn't get them first. I plan on trying black berries instead. My new blueberry plants couldn't survive the heat either. My new fig plants are doing great.

Ted

Last edited by tedln; January 13, 2014 at 11:37 PM.