View Single Post
Old June 18, 2016   #9
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
The problem that I have found with crab/lobster shells is that they take forever to degrade (in a composter) basically, they do not degrade at all, and I found bits in my veggie garden for a long time. I think they would need to be pulverized.

My dogs eat our shrimp shells like doggy potato chips, so they never make it to the compost bin.

Linda
Hey Linda, Yep I was sitting here thinking I could put the shells into one of the old school L.F. & C. universal meat grinder's. I have used one in the past to grind up fresh 5 gallons buckets full of Herring. We would then freeze it in to 2 gallon zip locks. When we went fishing we would use the fresh Herring as chum to attract the big Rockfish. Herring is one of the best baits I have ever used. I have caught fish as long as my legs. I am almost 6ft tall.

So yea not sure if will work but the grinders are cheap enough and i want another one anyway to make fresh sausage again. As far as pulverized I am not sure how to pull that off. Seems to me that worth1 might have an idea about that.

Dogs will eat anything girl! It does not matter 1 bit... lol

Thanks
Bill
MrSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote