Thread: Goliath Tomato
View Single Post
Old July 15, 2010   #6
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Goliath is a very good one to add to the grow list, and yes there are several names, or types of Goliath. I think these are called the Original Goliath Hybrid Tomato. If you google "Goliath Tomato" you will find several seed sites that carry it and that have pictures.

Every year I get more and more interested in Goliaths, but have never taken them seriously enough to plant more than about two a year. I know that the tomato farmers in my area grow them, and the Amish about 45 minutes away grow thousands of them -- seedlings to sell and seedlings to plant. I wonder if this is something the Amish popularized here in the last few years. People in my town will drive to Amish country to buy seedlings, and I know that's where a lot of these plants around town came from.

I'll ask the guy tomorrow and will check with the Amish sometime in July. Every year there seems to be something that sparks my interest in Goliaths. And if the guy's stand in the picture has sold 3,000 pounds of them this early in the season on just 120 plants...well....as they say, I can do the math. It's just a really good tomato and might prove to be one that is good for commercial growers and backyard gardeners too.

Don