Thread: Cool beans!
View Single Post
Old March 25, 2014   #31
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Waterloo Country Mennonite Pole Bean....aka Purple Stripes

A good all purpose bean...good fresh eating, shelled and dried. Handles heat well and keeps putting out until temps get down until about 5C....even less. I've harvested fresh as late as mid November! (...that's provided there's not snow on the ground already...lol)

Got my original seed at the Doon Heritage Crossroads Amish kitchen garden, during the seed saving course they were teaching about 10 years ago. Got to hit the three kitchen gardens onsite plus harvested from other plants all over the property. Definitely was worth the price of the course.

The funny part is that somehow I wasn't able to get the name written down on the original seeds. So came up with the name to make it recognisable. Took me almost 3 years to track down the same guy that taught the course and ask him again what the name was. Even told him what I had been calling it. He laughed and said that "Waterloo County Mennonite Pole Bean" was just as accurate, if not more than the usual "Purple Stripes" and not to worry about it.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote