View Single Post
Old October 25, 2021   #26
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

There is one squash that is way under valued by many gardeners, and in my opinion, the most garden-worthy vegetable, period. That is, the Chayote squash. It is super productive, tastes great, keeps well, no bugs and no disease that bother it .
A average gardener, in an average year, can harvest about 250 fruit (about 300-800 g per fruit), more experienced gardeners can double that, from one planting of two seed squash. It needs good trellis support, and most people build temporary supports, extending supports as the vines spread.
The trick is to get the right variety (grocery store bought ones are too late maturing, it won't work for northern climate), build up the base soil (piling up leaves, manure) in the fall, then protect seedlings from cold in early summer. Then it is a pretty easy to grow. No disease or bugs bother them. It can be eaten like a green vegetable, stir-fried, or in salad, crispy and crunchy, or baked soft like any other squash.

You can not afford not growing it, period! .

Seriously, it is absolutely worthy trying!

The photo below is a nest of two plants, pruned to one main stem each earlier in the season, once they climbed up the trellis you let go the side branches, they grow rapidly, fruiting on tips of side branches.

Back to digging a pit for fall leaves and manure for them, definitely growing it next year, again. I plan to write up a summary on the basic techniques of growing it, once I get around to it. There are lots of online resource to look up as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5162.jpg (73.9 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by NewWestGardener; October 25, 2021 at 04:47 PM.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote