Thread: Beware!
View Single Post
Old July 16, 2012   #44
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Tracy, chemicals DO NOT KILL BAMBOO. Trust me, I have spent 10 years trying everything under the sun. I've never seen a plant like it, ever! It spreads by runners under ground, and it is woody, not herbaceous. We even tried something my ex husband said was "agent orange" way back then and that didn't do a thing. If you miss one little piece of a runner (it must be dug up) it will root and run again. I thought I've dug it all up over and over and over and it comes back. This is on a hillside, not a flat area, so it's a real b****h to dig it out and try and hold your feet steady on the ground. I curse my neighbors all the time for ever planting it. One year the husband came over and told me he got rid of it for me. HA! He cut it to the ground, which made it impossible for me to find and it kept on running. EVIL EVIL EVIL plant.

Actually it is on the invasive species list, and I know a lot of folks have planted it in their yards, and some park-like settings, only to regret it later on. I would never even put it in a pot in my yard, that's how much I hate it now.