Thread: Eggplants 2019
View Single Post
Old May 17, 2020   #28
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

If maybe someone reads this thread and wonders what was the conclusion at the end of the season, here are my final notes for 2019. So each plant got half a ~8-9 gal container, so let's say between 4 and 5 gal per plant, there is one plant of each variety.
My water has an EC of 1.3 mS (which is considered way above very high), and a pH of almost 8, so how good the root system is probably decided how well the plants did, and may not be representative how the same variety will do in a more normal planting conditions.

Production winner: Kamo, with 5.2 kg, so 11 lbs.
Madonna F1: 3.3 kg, so 7 lbs. It had Zn deficiency due to high pH, this one can probably do better.
Ping Tung: 2.1kg, so 4.5 lbs. Best looking plant, I think this one needed higher heat, or just isn't a great producer (in weight).
Thai Long Green: 1.8 kg so 4 lbs. Started well but kinda lacked vigour to continue.

Kamo seems on overlooked variety in terms of production, but also how slow it matures giving a bigger window of harvest. Also had very good taste, but two drawbacks. One is that it's kinda matte, shiny only when very young. The biggest drawback is the harder texture, more dense, making cooking with it way more difficult, this might be something that could be caused by container growing however.

Also all 3 OP varieties are known named varieties, which basically means that depending on the originating vendor and where he got them, a different selection, there could be fairly big differences among them, in terms of maximum fruit size, plant vigour, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1032 re.jpg (117.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1033 re.jpg (99.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1069 re.jpg (108.7 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by zipcode; May 17, 2020 at 07:58 AM.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote