View Single Post
Old March 10, 2016   #15
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
I have seed available for sharing of HX-9 tomato. Send me a SASE to obtain seeds. Send me a personal message to get my address if you don't have it already.

HX-9 tomato is the star-child of my attempts to breed a population of promiscuously pollinating tomatoes. The anther cone is open and the anthers are loosely attached to each other. The stigma is exposed. It has a bold floral display, and the flowers are open to the sky and not buried in foliage. It is determinate. The extra-large fruits are bi-colored: red and yellow. Taste is great. One of the parents of the cross from which HX-9 was derived is Jagodka, a Russian variety that took the grand prize a few years ago in my trials of cold tolerant tomatoes. Jagodka is my primary market tomato. HX-9 takes after Jagodka by being early and highly productive. HX-9 is highly susceptible to cross pollination. Promiscuous pollination is what makes this variety unique. Closed flowers are a dominant trait. Therefore any offspring that have closed flowers are off-type and should be culled. Bred by Joseph Lofthouse.

These seeds are pledged to the Open Source Seed Initiative. Only request them if you agree to the pledge. The OSSI Pledge: You have the freedom to use these OSSI-Pledged seeds in any way you choose. In return, you pledge not to restrict others’ use of these seeds or their derivatives by patents or other means, and to include this pledge with any transfer of these seeds or their derivatives.
Joseph, I understand the intent of this to be promiscuously pollinated and highly attractive to pollinators and i support that goal wholeheartedly. But, since it is meant to be promiscuously pollinating and most tomatoes out there right now are not, then shouldn't closed flower types be a sign that it has naturally crossed to another variety and that those plants should instead of being culled they should be isolated and screened in future generations for something new but that eventually regains the recessive open flower trait?
Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote