Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinejs View Post
Carolyn et.al.....I have now been around these boards long enough to be
familiar with many abbreviations. I just read another thread encouraging
lurkers to get involved in posting. Perhaps, all the abbreviations are part of
what intimidates them? To me, it is better in a post to spell out, say,
Brandywine and then within the same post, go to "BW". A glossary is fine, but
the time it would take to go look through a glossary for a newbie/lurker is a lot
longer than what it would take the author of a post to spell it out. JMHO and
not LMAO and it ain't Big Sungold, it is just FWIW to the BSA and
RCAF.
Yes, it would take time to go through the abbreviations in this thread, which is why I posted the following above:

(Alpine, everyone starts out as a newbie at some point and thre are abbreviations that one learns as one learns more and more about tomato varieties. If you don't understand some of the abbreviations then just ask the person posting what one stands for if you don't see it in the posts above.)

And I'll amend that to say just ask the person directly rather than going through the abbreviations, but I think it's really good that the thread also covered abbreviations that don't refer to tomato varieties so by new folks reading through at least, hopefully, some of the ones listed here would be familiar when seen in the context of a post.

I can't promise that I'll write out the full names of any tomato varieties I post about, I can try, but no promises; too old, too many message sites I've been at since 1989 and so my fingers sometimes do what they do without any participation from my brain telling them what should be donee done. But PL and RL and the like are used so much that I do think the more common abbreviations, many of them in this thread, that folks use shouldn't be a problem.

And I don't think that lurkers are intimidated at all by some folks using abbreviations for tomato varieties. Studies have been done that show that at almost all message sites only 10% of the registered members ever post. They prefer to lurk, and from time to time someone will start a thread trying to convince lurkers to join the comminity here and post. And most of the time that doesn't work b'c most lurkers like to just lurk.

With the exception of a few Forums here, which are for members only, anyone can lurk and read what they want to without registering, and that's fine too, except if you look at the thread in the 2 cents Forum in the Mailbox Full thread one needs to make a post or two before one can use the PM feature.

Last edited by carolyn137; March 25, 2011 at 05:54 PM. Reason: referred to the wrong Forum
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote