View Single Post
Old February 6, 2010   #7
mjc
Tomatovillian™

As Alan explained to me...

Quote:
Indeterminate. 8-14 ounces, still a little variable. Green when ripe. About 75 DTM or so, fairly productive. Background from crosses of Emeraude, Aunt Ruby's, and Brandywine.

Beefsteak type.
Quote:
There have been three tomato lines (and a muskmelon) with the working name "Absinthe". The line that is currently in circulation is the one with Brandywine in it's background, there is some mixed genepool material out there as well which includes the other two crosses but which has been labled as such (usually green mix) and probably a few labled as Absinthe here and there from a while back(about four years ago).

The one which is currently in circulation is a cross of Emeraude X ARGG which was then crossed to Brandywine...

Absinthe is a good example. When I first started I made several different crosses, one having been Emeraude X Aunt Rubys German Green crossed then to Emerald Evergreen. As you can imagine the proceeding generations were very similar and almost appeared stable immediately, which I thought was a good thing, the second cross is the one mentioned above (both grown in the same year and the first seed distributed of "Absinthe" was of genepool material like most of the original Hip-Gnosis stuff). As of last year I was convinced I would stick with the first cross but the flavor profile being what it was and plant being what it was (too close to the parents) I opted for the other line for release.

Everything from the past three years has been the Emeraude X ARGG X Brandywine. The other line is "on the shelf" so to speak other than those that recieved seed of it four/five years ago.
So, what you have depends on when and who you got it from. The 'official' named Absinthe is the Emeraude x Aunt Ruby's GG then with Brandywine. The older 'working name' Absinthe is the Emeraude x ARGG then with Emerald Evergreen
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote