View Single Post
Old May 6, 2012   #160
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuk50 View Post
Tracydr, it seems only the silverleaf whitefly spreads it, but
beans, cotton and others are carriers of the disease .. this is a good site for info. http://www.infonet-biovision.org/default/ct/88/pests

only once in 30 years of gardening here in the Tucson area, where I live did a pepper plant survive the winter without protection and it was quite a suprise to me.. had never heard of such a thing.... LOL. It developed a woody bark on the main stem and made a ton of peppers that second year. Where I live now sometimes gets down into the teens in winter ....
My jalapeño is now 3 years old and a small tree. Quite a woody trunk! I keep them in a protected spot that's a little too hot in the summer but allows them to get through winter without needing protection except for in severe freezes. This jalapeño survived those three nights of low 20 degree weather, along with my two eggplants, 2years ago.
My eggplants are also trees and loaded with fruit. In fact, I need to make eggplant Parmesan or stir fry today!
Thanks for the link on that virus. I'm sure that's what my mom had. She probably just. Didn't notice a few whiteflies. I've had a low level of whiteflies on the peppers and eggplants this year but I don't live anywhere close to her. Mine were infected last year and I don't remember the whiteflies, just aphids, but who knows?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote