View Single Post
Old April 14, 2015   #83
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old chef View Post
Hello all
I am a chef in NYC and I use a tremendous amount of tomatoes, In season, I purchase a lot from the Union Square Market were prices are $3-4 a lb
I am always in touch with the local farmers, and I am willing to pay a premium for this quality of tomato. Cherrys are always a great idea They are a multitude of colors, easy to grow and have a premium price and look great on the plate Most customers have never seen a stripped cherry or a blush tomato
Don't sell them without a premium! They are worth it and Chefs are willing to pay it " If it is more expensive it must be better"

My 2 Cents
Old Chef
Brother you struck a nerve with me on this one.

A few years ago I thought I would use someones property to grow tomatoes as I thought she knew what she was doing.

I had close to 400 plants on that spot of land.
She got in contact somehow with a local chef.
He offered her less than market value for my produce and she though it was a good deal.
When I told her to tell him I would throw every tomato in the trash before I sold for anything for less than market value she said I was being greedy.

Keep in mind I paid for everything the water and all.
She got to keep and eat what she wanted.
I asked her to keep track of what tomatoes came from what plant so I would know what did best and so I could save seeds.
It didn't happen.

I had drip irrigation set out under mulch and she used lawn sprinklers and sprouted every weed for miles around.

The cucumbers and squash were over sized and seedy and I couldn't eat them myself.
I told her that if she thought I was going to sell a brandywine or some other heirloom for less than a stinking store bought cardboard tomato the so called chef was nuts.
This ended our relationship with the tomato farm.

Well any who this thread reminds me of that experience so I rarely come here.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; April 14, 2015 at 10:55 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote