View Single Post
Old October 7, 2019   #1
bower
Tomatovillian™

Default how do you space your garlic?

I don't want to waste space since I don't have a lot, but I don't want to get smaller bulbs either. At the farm there is at least a foot between rows, maybe 18 ", and plants are spaced about 8 inches apart. I got some big bulbs the year I used 8 inch spacing and a foot between rows, but then it was a good year for garlic anyway. Last year I tightened up and bulbs were not as big - but it was a really cold year and nobody had really big bulbs this time around.
Omafra says 12 cm (5 inches) minimum spacing in row for porcelains, 7 cm (3 inches?) for smaller bulbed varieties, and a minimum of 20 cm (8 inches) between rows. My dibbler is about an inch so I put 5 inches between holes for the porcelains I just planted today, and 8 inch between rows like last year.

Elsewhere I read that tighter spacing can produce great garlic but requires rich soil, weed control and moisture management. I think my soil is good, and I keep em weeded by hand, but I rarely water so that may be the key issue.
What spacing do you use in your garden or farm, and why does it work best for you?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote