Thread: Mountain Merit?
View Single Post
Old December 16, 2012   #8
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I readily admit my knowledge of the genetics is extremely limited and I've just in the last year starting reading up on it. (I am working my way through some of the Winter Reading) It reminds me that Biology class was a looong time ago.

In my current level of amateur understanding, I'm thinking that there might be the possibility of using some of the disease resistant hybrids as ingredients in a three way cross to come up with F1's that combines disease resistance with better flavor (and just maybe some stripes). Given the complexity of trying to get all the genes in a stable OP variety I'm resigned to the fact that this likely won't happen.

It's just a concept at this point though. I've probably got at least 13 more years before I can retire to be a tomato farmer in a warmer climate where disease is more of an issue, so I've got time to experiment. ;-)

Thanks for the pointer to Iron Lady, I'll have to look at that one. I have read your descriptions of Big Beef x EPB and did order some Big Beef seeds from Twilley intending to give that cross a try myself as a possible ingredient in the genetic soup.

I do love the knowledge you share regarding tomato genetics. Since I can't play with plants in the winter following up on your posts is a great way to escape the bits and bytes of my day job until spring sowing time comes!

Mark
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote