Thread: Cali Concrete
View Single Post
Old February 21, 2017   #17
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Every situation is different and the landscaper in me wishes I could look at your yard but in most cases I recommend the no-till approach, as in layer all your amendments on top starting with newspaper/cardboard if you dont have noxious weeds. The cardboard will attract the worms and as long as food is there and it stays moist they wont leave. I did it this way and now in my third year it is black earth down to around 9 inches. I just add more leaves/manure/compost/etc once a year. Covering it with plastic will help retain water and improve tilth. Good luck!
Thanks guys, a lot of great ideas! Still pouring rain here.. I like Worths idea of paper cover and heirloom suggestions on plastic mulch.. Really like BVV soil building technique. I didn't plant out til may last year and did ok in containers. Instead of rushing plant out I think I'll germinate the maters in solos cups and concentrate on getting my planters done right. Thinking of going with combo of peat and perlite hand mixed into my soil after shoveling and removing grass. My two planters will be three feet by one foot approximately 25 feet long. Going to leave five feet between them. My backyard is southfacing so sun all day. Going to put plastic down between rows for grass and weed control. It's wet overnight here alot and I noticed the cedar doesn't mold even with all the rain.. Now if it would stop raining! . One problem we do have is snails. Last year after losing some seedlings I greased the buckets with petroleum jelly. . Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote