View Single Post
Old March 17, 2015   #9
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

You all have me convinced that I my be dealing with a monster, so I think, I'll just start a couple of seeds and take the best looking seedling and plant it out.

Especially after seeing that picture. I can't imagine harvesting and carrying something that big around, let along trying to swing it as a bat. I imagine kids would have fun with it.

After reading your posts, I thought about where I could grow such a vine and if it can handle some what poor soil, I have a piece of fence that is 6ft high and 50" long. Think, I'll plop a plant in there and see how it does.

I appreciate knowing what it taste likes and especially when to pick it. I remember first year I ever grew the summer squash. I thought surely you don't pick these guys now, they so tiny and I let them grow bigger and the farmers pigs down the road had a field day eating them. Learned my lesson the hard way and so now I ask.

Thank you for knowledge sharing. If I manage to get some to grow, I'll probably be back with pics to make sure I am picking them at the right stage.

Would rather eat them when they taste like chicken, instead of shoe-leather.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote