View Single Post
Old July 19, 2011   #42
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Tedin, do you get sun scorching on your jalapeņos? I have a terrible time on the jalapeņo I'm growing right now. I'm not sure if it's the variety or what. I think I shaded the previous plant but haven't managed to get around to constructing a shade structure over this one.
My Poblanos and jalapenos have such heavy foliage the sun can't touch the peppers. If the plants lost some leaves, I think they would get sun scald, but they haven't so far. I am growing a giant variety of Jalapeno this year. It's funny because they make large peppers on small (knee high) plants with heavy foliage. Last year, I grew normal sized jalapenos and they grew on plants about six feet tall.

I also grew the Armenian cucumber last year. They produced fruit around 24" to 30" long with the wrinkled skin in cool weather. When the hot weather hit, they started producing fruit shaped more like melons. One fruit weighed about twelve pounds and tasted similar to a musk melon. When the cool fall weather returned, they started producing the long, wrinkled fruit again.

Ted

Last edited by tedln; July 19, 2011 at 09:36 AM.