View Single Post
Old September 18, 2018   #93
bower
Tomatovillian™

Wow that is working fast. We're getting tons of rain today, but maybe I can get to lay it tomorrow. I have the tarp on hand so I should just give it a go. I have been completely overwhelmed with other business needing my attention lately.. I just need to schedule some garden time that's a fact.

The area I wanted to prep is my former vegetable garden which has gone over to perennial weeds (mostly oregano). It has also gotten a bit mossy in places, showing signs of just how acid it has become without any attention (have to keep hacking back conifers too). I don't have a tiller so I will keep it small and dig it with a fork, but I do want to open up this ground for garlic rotation, as it is a good sunny spot. Hoping the tarp will help. I guess I should mow it down and maybe apply some lime and fish fert before I tarp it, try to speed up the action.

There is also a big anthill in that area which discouraged me from tarping when dry and in their season - there's nothing they like better than a dry sheltered patch of ground.

Still have to pull veggies and weed the beds that are already set up for garlic. I have some brassicas that have been quite damaged by the butterfly, and was thinking to chop up what is left of the leaves and dig that into the ground. Maybe tarping would help that to rot away before planting time as well.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote