View Single Post
Old April 11, 2009   #6
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZ-OH6 View Post
It is recommended to plant garlic in the fall before cold weather to get more cloves, but what if you get them in early spring and then have a few cold snaps? (TZ says while looking at a dusting of snow on the ground).

And if this cold is needed why is so much garlic grown in California where it does not get to freeze over winter?
It's not just cold, daylength is a major factor as well. Actually, I think daylength might even be more important than cold. Some garlic varieties or types are more daylength sensitive than others. As others have mentioned, in warmer zones, softnecks tend to do better, and the reason is because they are less daylength sensitive. Most of the garlic you see at the grocery is artichoke (softneck) and is likely the ubiquitous and rather mild California Early, and sometimes California Late. Also, much of it will come from Ca, China, and sometimes Mexico.

Also, in warmer zones, yes, garlic can be planted past autumn (which is the optimal time for everyone, cool zone or warm) again because of daylength, and because our soil never freezes or heaves, so (very early) spring plantings can do well and put down root, especially with artichoke types, which are easy to grow in most zones.

Much of what I grow here is artichoke, with a few Creole types thrown in (can go soft or hardneck depending on growing conditions). Creoles are usually softneck for me here.

In a cooler zone, if you can dig though the soil (if not frozen) to plant it late winter to early spring, and cushion with mulch to limit heaving, I suppose it is possible (?) Really better to try to get it in during autumn, though.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote