Thread: Nikitovka Seeds
View Single Post
Old January 17, 2016   #25
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
A lot of those so-called "Rare Russian" varieties look a whole lot like varieties that I've seen over the past 6 weeks on American sites which had different American names for them. To me, this would indicate deception by at least one of them. The prices are exceptionally good, but I'd not trust the variety to grow true. But, the price says you can have some fun for a little bit of pocket change.

Andrey_B said it all in his post. "Be careful" !!!
A couple of years ago Clara had referred me to a site in Estonia, i think I still have the link, and had trouble translating the Russian and Estonian, but could understand the color,height and someother traits of each variety and Clara helped since she is fluent in Russian and several other languages as far as that goes.

I made choices,lots of them, and Clara ordered them sent to her and then sent to me and many of them will be in my next seed offer.

But something happened with that site, I don't remember what, and no more orders,I have the link and could still check,so it was suggested I go to Nikitovka seeds, and I did, but very few varieties and I left.

I found the link in my faves and just went thru all the early and midseason ones, I think only 4 were late ones. And LOTS more varieties than I'd seen before

Yes, the spelling of many are different from what I saw at the Estonia place, but I could understand them,and yes,many I have grown and was at sea viz the spellings, and for sure Druzba is not a yellow fruited variety.

Spellings are different very often for the same variety due to the differences seen as sourced to Russia or Ukraine or even belarus, as Andrey has pointed out to me in the past.

Do they do all their own seed production, I didn't check or are they what are called seed repack places where they buy in bulk from commercial places and just put the seed in their packs. I'm leaning that way since it';s not just individual packs that they sell but bulk amounts as well.

And Tania and Andrey and Alex and Clara have warned me that there are both Russian and Ukranian seed sources that you just cannot trust and yes,I ran into that big timewith a variety called Flamingo

Yes, the prices are low,and yes, lots of varieties to be had cheaply, but I'm one who wants to know exactly what I have, and maybe the Estonian place but forsure the ones I get from Reinhard Kraft in Germany in trade since we've been trading for almost 20 years now.

And at his site Manfred Hahm offers LOTS of seeds for sale and Manfred is very good with English.

Carolyn