View Single Post
Old May 1, 2017   #349
geotek
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Some of those will get quite large and Sungold will grow out long thin stems with an abundance of suckers which quickly become loaded with blooms and fruit. It is a hard plant to keep under control as it puts out massive amounts of small tomatoes. With it you might want to connect your stakes with twine or something in order to help in supporting Sungold with something almost like a large cage. With it I would allow a good number of stems until it starts to get a bit crowded as the plant is quite spindly and sparse on foliage so sun and air flow is not usually a problem until it starts falling over when it outgrows its support.

If I were you and supporting each stem with its own post I would try to keep most of the heirlooms to 3 or 4 stems in order to get good sun and air flow.

Bill
Thanks for the prompt and helpful response. Since the Indigo Cherry Drop is also a hybrid, but doesn't seem as spindly as the Sungold, I think I will limit it to 6 or so stems as a compromise.
All of the poles will be tied to a center pole that runs horizontally from two 8' tall boards tied to stakes driven in the ground. Imagine the tomato poles being rafters in a roof. (I have a very large supply of bamboo poles of up to 40' in length and 2" in diameter so I can keep adding poles and cross braces as necessary. I'll build a pergola for the tomatoes if I have to.)

Stephen
geotek is offline   Reply With Quote