Thread: Figs
View Single Post
Old October 22, 2018   #80
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
That's good info Imp.

MuddyBuckets, you didn't get fruit this year because it's all new growth and usually figs are on last years growth.

From the article= "Figs are produced each active growth season on "old wood" (branches produced the previous season). So, to produce more fruit in future seasons you need to produce more branches.
TIP: When pruning a fig tree, always keep in mind that if you cut back too much you will not have fruit that year or maybe even the next. Take your time and don't over prune. This being said, over pruning will very rarely harm a fig tree."

I would let it recover and it should produce. I also fertilize my trees twice a year with triple 13 sprinkled around the tree line in Spring and Fall.

Not quite true. All common figs (need no pollination to ripen) will produce on first year wood. Some will produce two crops -- the earlier first crop on second year wood, the later second crop on first year wood. While the first crop figs are typically bigger, there are usually fewer of them and I understand they are not as good as the second/main crop.

San Pedro varieties, the most well known of which Desert King, will only produce a second crop if you live in certain parts of CA populated by the fig wasp which needs to pollinate the figs in order for the second crop to ripen. That's why it's so popular for it's heavier and better first crop in the Northwest and colder/shorter season areas -- the first crop ripens early.

So unless you have a San Pedro, prune as much as you need/want to and harvest main crop figs off next year's new wood. If your tree is not putting on a lot of new growth every season, then look for possible issues -- healthy fig trees are very fast growers. And you should wait to prune until the tree goes dormant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote