View Single Post
Old September 5, 2011   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

PErhaps someone can remember where the many threads are that discuss how to process saved seeds. I spent a bit of time doing a search here but didn't find them ASAP so went to watch tennis and still am.

In those threads are discussed fermentation, why use it, what it accomplishes, links to other sites for how they do it, detailed discussions of how individual here do it, etc.

Also discussed are the oxidative methods using Oxi-Clean or Comet, which is an alternative to fermentation which are quicker and not as messy.

But I've posted in those threads that while we know from Dr. Helene Dillard's work which pathogens are on the seed coat and can be lessened by fermentation, and its' also known that most bacterial and viral pathogens are in the endosperm of the seed so neither fermentation can't help with that and nor can the oxidative methods. How water treatment is used for the bacterial opathongs in the endosprem but also results in a loss of seed viability and as is oft said......don't try this at home.

My point being is that's there no data to say how effective the oxidative methods are in removing pathogens from the seed coat.

So hopefully some of you reading here can find those threads so it isn't necessary to reinvent the wheel, as it were, with yet another thread on the same topic when some already exist and are pretty darn detailed.