View Single Post
Old March 11, 2012   #12
Masbustelo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelRidin View Post
Hi Masbustelo,

How is it going? I wanted to ask about your manure setup. What type did you use, how fresh, when did you put it in and how many inches deep?
Hi RebelRidin The whole thing is really working well so far. I just planted my tomato seeds yesterday, but I have been weeding lots of volunteer tomatoes. On some sunny days I have hit temps close to 90, but that might be the sun on the thermometer. The soil temp 4 inches down holds at a steady 62 degrees. I would recommend that anyone make one three feet wide. I used horse manure with sawdust shavings for bedding. I suspect that it packs to tight and without air it doesn't heat up. I suspect that the bedding needs to be straw or hay to heat up properly. It's really no big deal because I put a little electric heater in to run at night, and it stays about 80 degrees. I have between 12 an 18 inches of manure. It seems to be nicely saturated and the soil seems to be wicking up the sub moisture nicely. I water it in the morning and so far it hasn't dried out too much by evening. I put it in the bed in January and let it set, it was fresh at the time.Then at the end of February I fluffed it up, wetted it, packed it and put the soil on top. I cover it with foam panels and insulated blanket at night, and this takes two or three minutes. Im trying to keep it a little extra warm until the peppers sprout. Que mas?
Masbustelo is offline   Reply With Quote