View Single Post
Old November 13, 2011   #1
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Default Suggestions for easy care currant types

I've decided that next year, I want to plant a few tomatoes near our clubhouse by the beach. It's a casual sort of building with a basketball court and some flower beds. Each Spring, we all go down and rake out leaves and plant flowers. However, I think it would be so cool to plant some tiny little easy care tomatoes instead . Maybe not everyone would agree with me, but since I'm on the board, I doubt anyone would have an issue with it. Probably the only perk I'll ever get ha!

So, I'd probably put one in a barrel planter over by the swimming dock, there's a bench seat there. And another one in front of the clubhouse. There are a lot of parties there all summer, and the kids who use the beach frequent the facilities indoors too, so I thought it would be really neat for them to enjoy a few tomatoes when they're around.

I'll probably let them sprawl because I'll be too busy with my own tomatoes to be worried about staking and caging them.

So this is what I have:

Matts Wild Cherry
Ildi
Spoon
Sweet Pea

Keep in mind they wouldn't get watered unless I stop by there once a week and do it myself, so I'm wondering, once these get established, if any of them would be a good, easy, maintenance free plant for that purpose.

Kind of like the "free wild berries" we used to pick as kids near the roadside, and these would be a healthy treat for them. And grownups too .

Oh and something pretty prolific because i suspect once a few old timers figure it out, they'll be coming down with bowls to fill .

We have an old Norwegian lady (she's over 90 now) who shows up each year at the fish stocking and holds out a big pot for someone to put a nice big fish in for her, and trust me, if it's not a keeper, she'll say so!