View Single Post
Old October 21, 2011   #4
tedln

I think the varieties mentioned so far are very good for your area. I'm growing in North Texas (north of Dallas). I've also been intrigued for many years with the concept of "winter sowing" or direct sowing tomato seed. I even grew some plants from seed planted direct in the soil this past spring. It was an attempt to fill some spaces when the seedlings intended for the spaces were killed in a frost.

I think the direct seeded plants work well because they develop a tap root which extends very deep. Transplants develop more of a root ball without much of a tap root. Growing in the weather extremes of Texas requires large plants that bloom and set fruit before the summer heat arrives. Direct seeded plants don't typically develop early enough to set fruit well. I've found seedlings grown under lights or plants bought from a nursery are most reliable for heavy production. I will be starting my seeds under lights around Christmas with plant out in the first week of March. I would be most happy if the seedlings already have some bloom buds when I plant them out. Direct seeded plants will have just begun germinating in early March and will never catch up with the transplants before the heat arrives.

If we experience a more normal summer with highs in the mid nineties, both the transplants and direct seeded plants will do well with the direct seeded plants producing a little later in the summer.

Ted