View Single Post
Old December 30, 2020   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Standard varieties are much better outdoors than in from my experience but overall I’ve never had any that were better than “ Ok”.
I have some good ones coming now at F5 and 6 that have what I consider to be good to even great flavour. My thread here about my “short and sweet” project has lots of photos and descriptions.
Mine are not tiny micro plants, mine up to about 16-18 “ determinate dwarfs and several of them have fruit larger than cherry size. I have some gwr and yellow striped that are particularly sweet at this stage of selection.
I think there needs to be an adequate foliage to fruit proportion in order for the plant to produce sufficient sugars and other volatile compounds that make tomatoes taste good. I am selecting specifically for flavour which frankly I think was forsaken in much breeding work in order to fit within a “ micro” definition with smallest plants being the goal with little to no concern for flavour. Watery sour meh little fruit are the result.
The generally pretty homemade artificial conditions indoors make it possible to grow the plants but it’s hard to coax flavour out of them without sunlight, warmth and good soil.
Seed sellers are selling seeds. Always remember that when reading descriptions on a seed catalog
Nobody would buy it if they said they make a few handfuls of watery sour cherries.

Mine won’t be super great in those poor indoor conditions either I don’t think but they are fantastic in pots for patio or gh which is what I’m working on.
KarenO
There is also a bigger album on my Northern Gardener FB page if interested. F5 and 6 will be started in Feb.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote