View Single Post
Old July 25, 2017   #39
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Jetstar is not a shining star this year. I re-visited this grower two weeks ago and this week. He is not going to have many tomatoes to sell. The weather (hot) is holding down production. He grew tons last year and sold out.

His method is to grow 150 plants in one section and plant another 150 plants in another section two weeks later. They are presently very small and the foliage is extremely sparse. The plants were barely to my hip for the early section and the later planting looked like my transplants at 8 weeks would look. I could see through the entire field just standing there. There was a green tomato here and there - some plants had none. He took it in stride. We are all having diminished tomato production. He has other produce to sell which is a saving grace for him.

- Lisa
We just got an update from the extension service here... Bacterial speck has gone through our entire area. the plants are sad looking for the most part. We did spray with copper last week and again today. they really looked much better after the copper application. we are actually surprised they look as good as they do.
the tomatoes in the tunnel look superior to the field ones.