Thread: Carolyn's Book
View Single Post
Old September 22, 2009   #160
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresone View Post
Please excuse me if this has been discussed- but is there a hard back version available? or were they all printed as paper backed?
There's only one version, not a typical paperback, rather, a flexible hard back as published by Workman Press on contract to Smith and Hawken.

And to all of you I haven't responded to I'm glad that you're finding the book useful. At the time I was asked to write the book I'd grown a bit over 1000 varieties and now I'm up to about 2500 varieties, but I'm sorry, there won't be a volume II with some of my more recent faves. Not that it wouldn't be possible as to it being published by Workman, who hold first right refusal on anything I might publish, but b'c I live in a different area now, far from where any photographers that Workman might approve might live, and more to the point, since I fell in Dec of 2004 and now use a walker, I can no longer do any gardening myself but do have someone who does it for me.

No more hundreds of plants and varieties each year, just less than 30 plants in gro bags on the back lawn. Freda brings in fruits, almost non-existant this year b'c of the weather, I taste, copy down variety basics and save seed when I have help but almost all my seed saving is done for me by bcday who lives in another area.

These days I grow varieties new to all or most and right now I'm going to wheel out to the kitchen and try to set up by myself fermentations for:

Medovaya Kaplya ( several fruits)
Libby's Pride ( three fruits)
Kazachka ( several fruits
Maria Am__________________ can't spell it without checking, LOL ( 2)
Big Sungold Select ( several)
Ste. Colombe, one and I really wanted many more fruits of this new one as well as all of the others.

.....and minus three hybrids I'm trialing that means that I have no fruits from the other about 20 varieties. Horrible year here, but hopefully bcday has better luck with my varieties.